YOURvoice Forums Consultation How do you stop YOURvoice from representing the active few?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

The same corrupting influences that allow our politicians to lie and have vested interests will surely pollute the yourvoice polling system, unless it is made to be immune.

I can see no other way than using random samples of the electorate invited to poll on each issue.

• Bill Noble
      Participant

True random sampling is problematic as many (most?) people will not want to be involved. This will make the sample to some extent unrepresentative. It would also be horrendously expensive to set up and administer fairly, even if that were possible.

My view is that corrupting influences of one sort or another are completely inevitable. Whether they be large corporations, the media, political parties, individual politicians, special interest groups, family, friends, neighbours, … It can’t be avoided. One of YOURvoice’s aims should be to provide information that is as unbiased as possible and encourage as many constituents as possible to come to their own informed position. The reality though is that many will be influenced by The Sun, or The Guardian, or by one or other of the political parties, or by others.

A world without corrupting influences is simply not possible.

• Thomas Swan
      Participant

I agree with Bill that random sampling isn’t feasible. However, the benefit of having YOURvoice in government would be that the media industry could be reformed very easily. There would no longer be corrupt politicians serving the interests of Murdoch or other media moguls. We, the people, could propose and enact reforms that give us an unbiased press without the ability to misinform or mislead.

• Bill Noble
      Participant

I don’t think an unbiased press is possible, or even desirable. The best we can hope for is removing the link of influence between politicians and the press. D3 MPs by definition cannot be influenced. There will though always be media owners, editors, and journalists who will want to pursue their own agenda in print. There will always be media aimed at left wingers and media aimed at right wingers, etc. Even the BBC, which I believe does truly strive to be impartial, is not completely unbiased on all issues.

• Thomas Swan
      Participant

I agree there will always be opinions in the press (left or right wing), and that this shouldn’t be stopped, even if it does influence people’s votes. What I mean is, we could do with a clearer separation between news (facts) and opinion; and a proper identification of which is what. Anyone passing misleading information off as news could be punished. Anyway, it would be the public who decides this particular matter.

The important point is: YOURvoice would give people the power to reform the press if they wanted, and this is a better situation than what we currently have (e.g. corrupt politicians in bed with Murdoch).

• Bill Noble
      Participant

I like the idea of trying to make clear the difference between fact and opinion. Will be quite a task I think!

• Gareth Rees
      Participant

Use Social Media to get people to interact with the issues they see as key.

A problem is people especially young people voting for the first or second time don’t trust what they are seeing and hearing.

So online articles that clearly explain both the positives and negatives of dealing with issues are key. But these articles need to be able to grab the demographics attention, as too much literature about issues is over complicated and uses terminology that unless you are experienced and well adversed in that field, you will not understand.

Polls are always popular make them simple and easy so people what they are voting on.

Really focus on recruiting the so called “lost generation”

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Gareth Rees.
    • Bill Noble
      Participant

The “lost generation” are definitely worth targeting, but it is important that YOURvoice strive to represent all constituents, both those who are engaged in social media and those who aren’t. The key to this thread is how do we make sure YOURvoice does not only represent the vocal few.

The more I think about this issue the more convinced I am that we need to enable constituents who are disinclined to take part in the votes to register their political leaning/preference so that in the absence of them taking part explicitly their vote is effectively cast the same way as the parliamentary whip of their favoured party. This sometimes referred to as Liquid Democracy.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.