YOURvoice Forums Consultation How will YOURvoice’s policies, rules, regulations etc. be decided?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Who governs YOURvoice? Who decides what YOURvoice is and what its policies are?

In the spirit of YOURvoice this could be done by a democratic poll of all the interested parties. This seems to me the most natural way to do it but, certainly in the very early days, allows for the possibility of a relatively small group of people turning YOURvoice into something other than what the founder(s) intended.

Another way to look at it would be to acknowledge the very significant involvement the founder(s) have had to date and for them to continue to guide YOURvoice to where it will be at the next election. At which time there would need to be a very clear set of rules stating how changes to YOURvoice’s policies and rules can be made in the future. It would for example be sensible to enshrine in the rules exactly how YOURvoice MPs can and cannot act.

• Thomas Swan
      Participant

Perhaps we could start with something like:

1. Always vote in parliament in accordance with majority public opinion in your constituency.
      2. Work towards establishing a nation-wide direct democracy in which there is no need for MPs who vote.
      3. Never overly endorse or campaign for a particular political position other than what is covered by #1 and #2.
      4. Always stress that your opinion is of no consequence. Only the public vote matters.
      5. Changes to this list of regulations must be agreed by a majority of YOURvoice members.

• Bill Noble
      Participant

That looks like a good start. Ensuring we know the majority public opinion in a constituency is going to be a challenge though.

• Thomas Swan
      Participant

I think we’d need a functioning internet voting system before anyone could get elected. Something like SenatorOnline, which they have in Australia.

• Bill Noble
      Participant

Definitely agree we will need a functioning voting system before fielding candidates. Is SenatorOnline available for others to use? I haven’t come across that in my Googling.

Systems I have been looking at include:

http://placeavote.com/home
      http://www.bitcongress.org/
      http://www.vtovote.com
      http://www.liquidfeedback.org/

Sadly none of these is suitable for use yet.

• Thomas Swan
      Participant

I’m not sure. They might not have even finished their app yet. It seems to be a plan for after they get elected. I’m not tech-savvy enough to know much about the programs being built. I think YOURvoice would need to bring one of these developers into the fold before the next election and be able roll it out in time for taking office.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Thomas Swan.
    • Julian James
      Keymaster

The problem is the cost of implementing D3. I funded the Euro Election myself but am not in a position to commit to that for future elections. Funding a D3 system prior to being elected was way out of my league. But just one seat in the European Parliament would have provided sufficient funding to do just that. Seats in Westminster are not so generously funded.

It is fine if central government decides that D3 is the way ahead and commits funds to the cause but that is unlikely to happen until a party like YOURvoice gains sufficient power to have an influence on the budget.

• Julian James
      Keymaster

Just to add, a functioning D3 system was not at the top of the list of concerns for those considering voting in the Euro Elections. For those who had thought it through sufficiently it was the issues raised by lack of voter engagment. Hence my drive to address this problem first and foremost before we get bogged down in the detail.

• Bill Noble
      Participant

Just to be clear Julian are you referring to D3 for parliament or D3 for constituencies? It seems to me that D3 for a small number of constituencies is a reasonable but admittedly VERY ambitious target. D3 for parliamentary elections is another thing all together.

Whatever system we eventually start using at the constituency level would be experimental. Maybe we could try out candidate voting systems within YOURvoice?

There are a number of online voting systems being developed at the moment that may be interested in working with YOURvoice. LiquidFeedback is working and available and has an API that could be used to provide a tailored offering. It is not perhaps the best model but is certainly worth looking at. http://www.vtovote.com is also interesting. I have been talking to the developers of LiquidFeedback and vtovote about the suitability or not of their offering for a D3 party. Whether vtovote is suitable depends really on the D3 model. As you know I am very keen on the delegated vote model but at present vtovote does not have this. LiquidFeedback is very good for delegation but there is no secret voting!

• Julian James
      Keymaster

I am only considering D3 as a mechanism for allowing constituents to dictate how their representative votes in a legislative body at this point. The infrastructure and discussion is relevant to the legislative body (national) but the voting is local (constituency).

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.