YOURvoice Forums Consultation Who proposes new policies, when, and how?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

If YOURvoice was ever able to win a majority of MPs, how would the government run? Who would propose new legislation? When and how would this happen?

Does YOURvoice already have some views on this?

Is it intended that legislation is proposed by the people or is it intended that there are paid officials whose job it is to propose new legislation? For example one novel idea would be to have the Department of Education run by professional educationalists, they could then develop new ideas and have them put before Parliament. The appointing of top officials could perhaps be determined by the people.

• Thomas Swan
      Participant

I agree, we’d need to elect policy researchers who are skilled in a particular sector. We’d elect a team of researchers for health, education, business, defense, and so on. Most of the time, they’d be the ones coming up with policy questions. However, it’s important for the public to get their own questions asked too. This could be done via public petitions with signatures above a certain amount.

• Bill Noble
      Participant

A mixture of paid professionals (both people with frontline experience and academics) and input from the public sounds good to me.

• Julian James
      Keymaster

If you have not already seen it, Europe has an interesting approach to policy proposal: Ordinary Legislative Proceedure. Anyone can propose legislation to the European Commission via a Citizens’ Initiative. Of course, they don’t make it quite that easy and the European Commission, not the people, determines the legislative proposals that progess.

By having a completely open submission system everyone has a chance to have their voice heard. Who listens will obviously depend on their ability to promote their cause but I have never suggested that D3 is a universal utopian solution.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.