YOURvoice Forums Consultation Who will fund a D3 party?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

In the main, political parties are funded by people who have something to gain by certain policies being implemented. That donor may be attacted to a party encouraging a particular approach to education. Or it may be that a party will implement tax incentives that would be fiancially beneficial to that donor. Both are perfectly honest and viable reasons to to help a party campaign themselves into power.

But what about a party promoting D3? D3 levels the playing field. A government composed of D3 representatives is merely a group of representatives facilitating the will of the people on a legislative proposal by legislative proposal basis. Why fund that? You would be better off paying for a media campaign to convince the rest of the electorate to vote with you on the relevant legislative proposal.

• Bill Noble
      Participant

My thoughts on funding YOURvoice to field candidates and run the required voting platform(s) are:

1. The £500 candidate fee for running as a member of Parliament could be funded by fundraising. This would also be an opportunity to raise awareness. Also, if it is not possible to raise the £500 you could argue that there is not enough support/interest in the constituency for YOURvoice.

2. There is a very slim chance that a wealthy individual, or two, could be persuaded to part fund the party if they were a convert to the cause.

3. Any successful YOURvoice MP should be required to (i) Give a part of their salary towards the running costs of YOURvoice, and (ii) Give part of their staffing allowance towards the running costs of YOURvoice. My view, and it is very much a personal view and not a strongly held opinion, is that YOURvoice MPs should be aiming, after all relevant costs are covered, to be living on the UK average wage of £26,500. Whatever else is left over should be used to help fund YOURvoice.

Whatever funding is eventually achieved it should be 100% transparent. YOURvoice’s running costs should be available for all to scrutinise, in detail.

One of the paid for voting platforms I have been talking to has agreed to consider providing the platform for free up until the point that a D3 MP is elected. This would enable us to both evaluate the platform and, should it prove suitable, show it to voters before the election.

• Julian James
      Keymaster

I too believe that transparency in everything that YOURvoice does is essential. Which reminds me: I must do the accounts for the Electoral Commission rather than leaving it until the last minute!

Given that you have evidently done a significant amount of research into voting platforms, would you like to take the lead on that Bill? I think it must be worth a new thread at the very least.

• Julian James
      Keymaster

With reference to your thoughts on funding Bill, number 1 would denfinitely provide a good filter to assess where we should be concentrating our efforts.

• Bill Noble
      Participant

Certainly number 1 would give potential candidates an opportunity to display their engagement skills 🙂

I would be happy to start a thread on choosing a voting platform but ideally we first need to decide on some of the key issues:

1. Will voters be able to delegate votes?
      2. Does voting have to be anonymous?
      3. Is it essential to be able to verify that a vote has been recorded correctly?

The consensus amongst experts is that (2) and (3) are mutually exclusive. I.e. you cannot have both.

The answers to these questions will determine which voting platforms are suitable.

• Julian James
      Keymaster

Funding needs do go beyond just deposits though. Unfortunately, to mount a successful campaign still requires a certain amount financial input. Just running the party requires some money!

• Bill Noble
      Participant

I agree Julian. We will need to fundraise!

Cake sale anyone?

• Gareth Rees
      Participant

I think you have too spend a little to gain a lot.

Fundraisers help as it also gives us the chance to promote ourselves and push our names out there.

Auctioning stuff off there at the events always helps

• Bill Noble
      Participant

I agree with Gareth that fundraising events would be useful, obviously to raise funds, but also to raise awareness. There might be a bit of chicken and egg here if people are disinclined to go to fund raising events for causes they know nothing about?

Auctioning stuff is a very good idea. Perhaps Russell Brand could donate one of his wigs 😉

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.